What is Mindfulness or Mindful Awareness?
Mindfulness or Mindful Awareness is a particular quality or mode of attention that allows us to access a powerful connection to our experience in the here and now, to be deeply aware of what is happening both within ourselves and in our surrounding environment, and to practice an open-minded and accepting approach to life.
Our thoughts and emotions follow long established repetitive and reactive patterns, which often draw us into ruminations about the past and preoccupations about the future. Mindfulness can help counter strong tendencies of the mind, allowing us to step out of automatic pilot and to respond to internal and external challenges with a welcoming, curious and gentle attitude that brings greater emotional balance and mental clarity. Mindfulness practice leads to more stability, resilience and efficacy in our daily life.
Benefits of Mindfulness techniques include:
- Improved concentration, focus and mental clarity in the present moment
- Greater ability to sustain health and well being
- Increased empathy and ability to understand others through attentive listening and communication skills
- Enhanced efficiency and capacity to respond to challenging situations and make wise decisions
- Heightened awareness of purpose and appreciation for life
To learn more, click here to discover our Science page where we have compiled a list of reference articles covering various areas.